Thursday, June 5, 2008

6/4 Rest/Cardio Day

Yesterday was my off day from the gym but I still had to get my cardio in. Since i work at the gym that i train at I am there all day, i decided to get outside and do my HIIT cardio outdoors.
I get this question all the time, what is High Intensity Interval Cardio? HIIT is one of the most effective way to burn bodyfat

Essentially High Intensity Cardio (HIIT) does 3 things that Regular Cardio does not:

1) it keeps your metabolic rate elevated for a longer period post cardio
2) it increases your mitochondrial production (mitochondria are the organelles in the cell where fat oxidation occurs)
3) it increases the activity of the enzymes in the mitochondria.

So because of 2 & 3 you actually increase your CAPACITY to burn fat, as well as the rate at which you burn fat; even at rest

Yesterday i wanted a change of pace and do something that will truly push me past my normal limits......so i took my car to a open parking lot, marked off 100meters put the car in neutral and pushed!!!!

I pushed the car the 100m distance as fast as i can and i did this 15 times!
wow was i beat!!!!

Take Home Message: Make sure you utilize your current surroundings! Cardio can be very tedious and dull but there are so many different to spice things up! Challenge yourself and go beyond the current norm!!!