Monday, August 11, 2008

My Progression Throughout the years!

I was rumaging through old files and happen to find my old workout journals so i put this together to show everyone where i came from, and what i learned thus far......

Age: 15 yrs old
Year: 2002
Weight: 140-155lbs
Notes: Trained at home, Was on a rowing team, Worked out 3xs per week M,W,F
Routine: Chest, Shoulders, Back, Arms, 3xs per week
Highlighted Lifts:
Bench Press 120 x 10 reps
Upright Row from the floor 60lbs x 10 reps
Bent Over Row 60lbs x 10 repsBarbell Curls 40lb x 10 reps
Photobucket

Age: 16 yrs old
Year: 2003
Weight: 160-170lbs
Notes: Trained at home on the bowflex for 6 months, 6 months in the gym, Rowing Team
Routine: 1 Bodypart per day/ 5 days per week
Highlighted Lifts: No recorded Lifts, all I know is I maxed out the bowflex 410lbs “resistance”
Photobucket

Age: 17 yrs Old
Year: 2004
Weight: 168lbs- Stopped tracking weight?
Notes: Got rid of the bowflex, started fulltime at the gym, Rowing team
Routine: Push, Legs, Pull 3xs per week
Highlighted Lifts-
Bench Press- 235lbs x 2 reps
Military Press- 135lbs x 2 reps
Squats- 335lbs x 2 reps (parallel)
Bent Over Row- 215lbs for 2 reps
EZ- Barbell Bicep Curls- 125 x 2 reps
Photobucket

Age: 18 yrs old
Year: 2005
Weight: 170-185
Routine: 1 bodypart per day/ 5 day split
Notes: Crew team again, followed more volume routine with crew, trained 2xs per day, way overtraining!
Nutrition: Ate Healthy food, I prob kept my calories around 2500 but never consistent
Highlighted Lifts:
Bench Press- 205lbs x 6 reps
Deadlifts- 315 x 6 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts- 185lbs x 4 reps
Photobucket

Age: 19
Year: 2006
Weight: 180-190lbs
Routine: 1 Bodypart per day/ 5 day split
Nutrition: All over the place, but definitely increased calories got as high as 4000
Notes: First year of college, Typical Bodybuilding routine
Highlighted Lifts:
Incline DB Press- 110lbs for 5 reps
Squats- 405lbs for 4 reps
Deadlifts- 405lbs for 2 reps
Photobucket

Age: 20
Year: 2007
Weight: 190-206lbs cut to 170lbs @ 4%
Routine: Typical Bodybuilder routine, train 5xs per week
Notes: Trained with a natural bodybuilder, Cut down for contest
Nutrition: 2100 calories for cutting, got up 5000 for bulking
Highlighted Lifts
Squats: 365 x 12 reps
Incline Bench Press: 275 x 4 reps
Deadlifts: 405 x 8 reps

Pic Bulked up at 200lbs
Photobucket

Pic at Contest at 170lbs
Photobucket

My Thoughts:
-I definately have a mesomorph type body (gains muscle easily), I was able to gain about 10lbs per year despite my nutrition being all over the place. I believe my bodyfat decreased as well throughout my starting years.
-Spun my wheels with my nutrition in my early years, i had the mentally if i worked out hard my muscles would grow no matter what
-I never really understood the importance of keeping track of my weights and never really used and progression type programs with my lifts....just kinda went into the gym and spun my wheels...I lifted very hard and heavy

I think i got my best gains when 3 things happened
A. I increased my calories above 3500-5000kcal (gained the most size)
B. I was training 3xs per week, got strongest using this method
C. Progressively Overloading my muscles and lifted heavier each week

(i know these are the basics for gaining muscle, but throughout my journey i did one at each point and got good results, never used them at once)So for my offseason this year i will work on all Three!! )

I am curious to see what will happen! I do plan on keeping this "progression" going to learn the best route for my body